Here’s why you should do it.
Running background checks on your potential tenants is very crucial to your letting process. It does not only help to keep you safe, it also keeps you in power.
More importantly, running a background check on your potential tenant helps keep your community safe. As a landlord, it is your responsibility to the whole community to choose the right tenant – one that will not put anyone at risk.
Another good reason to do a background check is so you can protect yourself from liability. Should you rent your property to somebody who’ve committed a crime in the past, you will be liable if something goes wrong.
Indeed, a thorough background check and tenant screening are very important to your letting process and safety. The reasons stated above should be more than enough to start running a background check on your potential tenants.
How do you complete a thorough tenant screening? Our friends over at Rentalutions wrote the following tips:
- Create an online rental listing that engages the highest quality tenants
- Ask prospective tenants the right questions
- Meet the tenants for the first time and watch for red flags
- Require a thorough rental application
- Verify tenant income and employment
- Require prospective tenants authorize a credit report
- Analyze a tenant credit report
- Require prospective tenants authorize a criminal background check
- Analyze a tenant credit background check